Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Best Simple Bread Pudding

Bread pudding is by far my favorite dessert. I grew up on it and I've been making it forever. This recipe is so simple and the results are to die for. If you like it real custards like I do, use Wonder bread. I've tried homemade and deli breads but I've had the best results with Wonder bread.

Recipe:
2 cups milk
2 cups dry buttered bread cubes (4-5 slices)
2 eggs beaten
1/2 t vanilla
1/3 c sugar
dash salt
cinnamon
nutmeg

Scald milk in small heavy saucepan. Set aside to cool. Spread bread crumbs in buttered 1 qt. casserole dish. In a mixing bowl combine eggs, vanilla, sugar and salt. Gradually stir milk into egg mixture. Blend. Pour entire mixture over bread cubes. Dash with cinnamon and nutmeg. Place dish in pan of hot water. Bake in 325 degree oven 50-55 minutes or until custard is set and knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Please let me know what you think : )

No comments:

Post a Comment